Tuesday, January 10, 2012

No yeast Pizza pockets

Yep, I've been at it again! Since I've been reading about gluten-free cooking, plus no yeast, corn, soy, dairy, etc... that my friend can't eat, I've come across an emergency substitution of substituting baking soda and cream of tartar for yeast.  It had mixed reviews.  Here's mine!

I make pizza on Monday nights and tonight I planned to make pizza pockets. Since my honey's still working late and I've been patient for 2 hours and didn't want to wait for the yeast to raise the pizza dough, I thought that I'd try the tip. 

OK, so the only thing I changed in the recipe was substitute 1-1/4 t. baking soda and 1 t. cream of tartar for 1-1/4 t. of yeast.
There's definitely a flavor change.  It reminded me of baking powder biscuits at first.  The bread is still fluffy, tender, and it cooked great!  See the pictures... it looks normal, just tastes different.  I put spaghetti sauce, ham, mozzarella cheese, and fresh pineapple inside.. drool :)  Yep it was delicious. I even have another for lunch tomorrow... although it does look really good and I am still a little hungry....   No, I'll wait and eat it tomorrow. Plus I gotta cook another batch right now cause my Soldier's on his way home :)!!!!

OK, so I made the regular yeast dough recipe for my Soldier and after I made the regual dough... I was able to compare the two :)... it felt the same right after mixing it all up. When I flattened it out to shape it for the pizza pocket, I really noticed a difference. The baking soda version was very airy and squishy and easy to shape.  The yeast ones were flat and I needed to be more careful so I didn't make a hole in it. I had to sprinkle flour on the counter for both of them.  It was easier to shape the soda one.  I only had to wait 10-15 minutes for the yeast bread to be ready to bake.   I prefer the yeast one but in a pinch, I'd do the soda one again.... just mentally prepare for it to taste like baking powder biscuits!


I don't know how I'd like it in regular bread because it'd lose that yeasty flavor.  Of course I'll have to try a little loaf :)  I guess if you want bread in a jiffy and don't want to wait for it to raise...    
   I'll let ya know what new bread recipes I come up with if they're any good. Then I'll link the new recipes ... HERE... !

No comments:

Post a Comment