Friday, April 20, 2012

Cooking with Barley

I've got another cooking challenge...  :) :)
 My friend, Monica, is allergic to tons of stuff, and the Doc. just put her on a more restrictive diet to help her kidneys.  Barley is the ONLY grain she can eat so she sent me home with a jar of barley to experiment with...  My mom hooked me up with some recipes (THANKS MOM) and I've only got to tweak them a little bit.  Monica can't have milk, only Cream.. weird eh?

Before I even got to bake anything, her stomach was giving her fits.  I'd read in another book I have.. "Barley or Rice water is very soothing and healing, particularly to the digestive system. It helps relieve diarrhea and aids in rehydration."   So I mixed up a little Barley Water and it calmed her stomach right down!!!

Barley Water (from Recipes for Self-Sufficient Living by Kay Martineau...)
Stir 1 T. barley into 3 c. boiling water. Turn heat down and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barley is soft. Strain. Salt to taste.
   I used pearl barley and simmered it for 20 minutes.  I didn't add salt.  
Monica tried it plain and with a little cream and sugar. She preferred it just plain and said, "It reminds me of baby cereal. Not bad, I like it!"


Learn about barley

More about barley!
To cook pearl barley: In medium saucepan with lid, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add 1 cup pearl barley and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Makes about 3 to 3-1/2 cups.
In a crock pot or slow cooker: Place 2-1/2 cups boiling water, 1 cup pearl barley and 1/2 teaspoon salt in crock pot or slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
To cook whole grain barley kernels: In medium saucepan with lid, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add 1 cup whole grain barley kernels and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 50 to 55 minutes. Makes about 3 cups. Note: Because whole grain barley retains most of the outer bran layer, the kernels tend to absorb less liquid during the cooking process. It may be necessary to pour off any remaining liquid after 50 to 55 minutes of cooking time. Compared to pearl barley, whole grain barley tends to be chewier in texture and produces a more robust flavor.

Here's a few recipes I found online
Barley pie crust
Apple and Barley pudding
Apple-barley pudding
Baked barley pudding recipe



1 cup of raw barley makes 2 cups of barley flour

No comments:

Post a Comment