Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Homemade Sausage Recipe Competition

OK... so, this week I posted my Aunt's Sausage recipe (below) that I'd made only once and I had eaten it on pizza. (I'd also added fennel)   But in all fairness, and so satisfy my curiosity, I tested it against two other recipes today and it was bland in comparison.

I tried    Alton Brown's Breakfast Sausage,   All Recipe's  Breakfast Sausage, and my Aunt's  

OUR FAVORITE WAS.....   All recipe's Breakfast Sausage!  :) 
  The perfect amount of sweet flavor and is really complimented by the cloves which was a surprise!  "Definitely a Keeper" as my mom would say!   We give it 5 stars!


All Recipe's Breakfast Sausage
1 lb ground meat (I used pork)
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1 t. sage
1/2 T. brown sugar (the original recipe calls for 1 T.)
1/8 t. marjoram
1/16 t. red pepper flakes
1/16 t. cloves

Press the meat into the bowl and up the sides (spreading it out as much as possible).
Mix all the spices in a bowl and sprinkle all over the meat.  Using a fork, begin mashing the spices into the meat until it's uniformly mixed in (can use a mixer).   Shape into patties, links, or just put it all in a hot pan and cook it up as crumbles.   Cook as you would regular sausage!  You can also freeze it for later either as a whole pound or pressed into patties frozen on a pan and then put into a Ziploc bag!   ENJOY

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My Aunt's Basic Sausage Recipe
1 lb ground meat (pork, turkey, beef, goat, deer, etc.)
1/2 t. sage, crushed
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. marjoram, crushed
1/2 t. basil, crushed
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. black pepper

Optional additions to tweak the flavor a bit!
1/4 t. fennel, ground  (more Italian)
1/4 t. nutmeg, ground (???)
1/4 t. red pepper flakes or paprika (add some heat)


Mix all ingredients well.
Shape into patties and cook as you would regular sausage.


 Y'all gotta try my new favorite sausage recipe, then let me know what ya think!

No comments:

Post a Comment