Saturday, March 24, 2012

Home-made Ice Cream

I LOVE home-made ice cream but my Soldier thinks they always have a weird after taste...

The other day we were talking to my brother,  Barney,  about his favorite new icecream recipe and my Soldier wrote down exactly how to make it..    He didn't realize that it was pretty much like every other recipe I had tried and he didn't really like so I figured it'd be the perfect time to experiement :)  yep, another kitchen experiment :)

This morning I mixed it up exactly as Barney said.   Then I mixed up a batch using my neighbor, Anna's recipe. Last summer, my Soldier commented that it didn't have that 'wierd after taste' and I'd got the recipe from her!

The recipes are quite similar in ingredients.. the main difference:  Barney's is cooked, Anna's isn't.
I let both set in the fridge for 8 hours then put them into my Ice cream maker.   My maker has 2 (1-quart) containers so I actually made half a batch of each recipe so they'd be a perfect comparrison!

Here's the before picture!
Barney's - left,   Anna's - right

I start the machine, layer ice, rock salt, ice, salt.. etc. Then let it do it's magic.

Barney's was done after 25 minutes.

Anna's was done after 35 minutes!





















We put each of them in a plastic container in the freezer for just over an hour.



The results....
Barney's was just a little more creamy with a ... 'french vanilla' ice cream flavor.
Anna's was creamy, a little icy and a mild flavor.

My soldier and I both picked... Anna's flavor
note...Barney's ice cream flavor got better after a few days in the freezer!

Here's both the recipes.

Barney's Ice Cream
(makes 2 quarts)
2 eggs
1 c. sugar
1/4 t. salt
2 1/2 c. Whipping Cream
2 c.  Half and Half
2 1/2 t. Vanilla

Whip eggs until fluffy. Slowly add sugar while you continue to beat it.  Add the salt, cream, & Half and Half.  Cook in a double boiler over medium heat (or in a sauce pan, stirring  constatantly) until it is 160 degrees.  Cool the mixture quickly and add the vanilla (I poured it into the glass bowl that I'd beat it in and put the bowl in a sink of cold water so the water came 1/2 way up the bowl).   When cool, cover and refrigerate 8-24 hours.   Or, if you're impatient, put it in the ice-cream maker and follow the directions of your maker.     It'll be more creamy if you let it sit overnight!


Anna's Ice Cream
(makes 2 quarts)
2 eggs
1 c. + 6 T. sugar
1 T. corn starch
1 c. Whipping Cream
2 c. Half and Half
3/4 c. milk (or enough milk to reach the 'fill' line)
1 t. vanilla

Beat the eggs until fluffy, Slowly add the sugar while you continue to beat it. Add all the other ingredients and stir well, until the sugar is dissolved.  Cover and refrigerate 8-24 hours. Or, if you're impatient, put it in the ice-cream maker and follow the directions of your maker. It'll be more creamy if you let it sit overnight!


What is your favorite ice-cream recipe or thing to add to your home-made ice cream?  


Got a Dairy-free, Egg free, Gluten free, Corn free, Soy Free  Ice Cream recipe that you've actually tried and like?



....

No comments:

Post a Comment