Sunday, April 1, 2012

Corn Tortillas and Chips

I made Corn Tortillas! My motivation was... I didn't have any corn chips and I love salty, crunchy stuff!





I'd found a recipe earlier and finally mixed them up tonight. I served the tortillas with fajita type filling and some fresh chips on the side. We each got four chips... Ha ha! One of the corn tortillas made 4 chips!

The chips were VERY crisp and crunchy. More like a hard crunch than a crumbly crunch.. I'm not sure how to describe it. It did satisfy my salty, crunch craving and .. oh yeah, I baked them so they were healthier! I don't know how the texture would change if they were fried. I'd also rolled the tortillas a little too thin. Maybe if they're a little thicker, it'd be better..

Yep, I'll try it again and update you on what I discover!!

For now, Here's the recipes!

Corn Tortillas
Prep 20 min, cook 15 min, ready in 1 hr, serves 4

1 ¾ c. masa harina
1 1/8 c. water

In a medium bowl, mix together the masa harina and hot water until thoroughly combined. Turn dough onto a clean surface and knead until pliable and smooth. If dough is too sticky, add more masa harina; if it begins to dry out, sprinkle with water. Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and allow to stand for 30 minutes. (I just put a lid on the bowl I was using)
Preheat a cast iron skillet or griddle to medium-high.
Divide the dough in 12 equal size balls. Use a tortilla press or rolling pin to roll each tortilla about 1/8" thick between 2 sheets of plastic. (I use an old cereal bag that I've washed and dried.. it's sturdy and reusable)
Immediately place tortilla in preheated pan and allow to cook for approximately 30 seconds, or until browned and slightly puffy. Turn tortilla over to brown on second side for approximately 30 seconds more, then transfer to a plate. Repeat process with each ball of dough. Keep tortillas covered with a towel to stay warm and moist until ready to serve! YUMMY!!!


Corn Chips - Baked
Cut your fresh tortillas in 4 pieces with a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and spray with Pam or lightly brush with oil. (I only sprayed one side, but you can spray or oil both) Then lightly salt (or sprinkle with your favorite herbs and spices). Bake until golden brown and crisp in a preheated oven at 350 for about 12-15 minutes. If you are making a lot and using two baking sheets, rotate the baking sheets after 6 minutes so they'll cook evenly!
Enjoy!

You know I've got to try making chips now with the Rice and Oat Tortillas!!!

... Happy crunching!...

No comments:

Post a Comment