Friday, April 26, 2024

Book of Mormon Minute, Pages 171-180

   Howdy! I have chosen one verse or phrase from each page of the Book of Mormon to share with my family daily.  See the list here...

Page                       Reference                                               My Thoughts

171

Mosiah 12:27 Ye have not applied your hearts to understanding; therefore, ye have not been wise. ...

How would today be different if I tried to see everything today from a celestial viewpoint? What would I try harder to do right the first time? What would I not let take away my joy?

...Father, thanks for giving us understanding as we do our best as you’d have us do. Please help me to think celestial.

172

Mosiah 13:4 But I must fulfill the commandments wherewith God has commanded me; ...

Is following a commandment of God a burden? … sometimes, yes. But, when obedience stops being a burden and starts being our quest, then God will endow (gift) us with His power!

...Father, thank you for giving me strength, courage, and help to do your will. Thanks that I can pray for a desire to do your will, when I know I should, but don’t want to. Then I can move forward with faith and develop a desire and receive your strength!

173

Mosiah 13:25 And it came to pass that after Abinadi had made an end of these sayings that he said unto them: Have ye taught this people that they should observe to do all these things for to keep these commandments?

We have a responsibility to be a righteous example to others and especially those who we will have stewardship over in this life. God expects us to teach others and then let them decide their own path.

...Father, thanks for all the folks who taught me your commandments. I pray for your help to be a good and faithful example.

174

Mosiah 13:28 And moreover, I say unto you, that salvation doth not come by the law alone; and were it not for the atonement, which God himself shall make for the sins and iniquities of his people, that they must unavoidably perish, notwithstanding the law of Moses.

No matter how hard we try to do right, we cannot save ourselves. It is only through the atonement of Christ that we will be saved, after we do our best.

...Father, thank you for the love and example of our older brother, Jesus, that makes it possible for us to live with you again. Please help me to keep striving.

175

Mosiah 15:1 And now Abinadi said unto them: I would that ye should understand that God himself shall come down among the children of men, and shall redeem his people.

Jesus did come to this earth and experienced this human journey. He has redeemed us from death and as we obey the commandments of God, can be with him forever!

...Father, thank you that Jesus did what he said he would. He redeemed us all and gave every person a chance to repent, try again, and you will be the judge of our hearts at judgement day. Thanks for being a merciful, all-knowing God who wants us all to come back home.

176

Mosiah 15:5

And thus the flesh becoming subject to the Spirit, or the Son to the Father, being one God, suffereth temptation, and yieldeth not to the temptation, but suffereth himself to be mocked, and scourged, and cast out, and disowned by his people.

Our spirits are stronger than our earthly bodies. With God’s help, we can follow our Savior’s example and not yield to earthly temptations. Jesus quoted scripture and set an example for us that gives me strength and courage to be different.

...Father, when people do not live up to my expectations, please help me see an eternal view that we’re all human, make mistakes, and have an opportunity to choose our own path. I want choose to be positive and hopeful. Please forgive me when I judge unrighteously. Please help me to improve.

177

Mosiah 15: 17, 26

And again, how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those who shall hereafter publish peace, yea, from this time henceforth and forever!

26 But behold, and fear, and tremble before God, for ye ought to tremble; for the Lord redeemeth none such that rebel against him and die in their sins; yea, even all those that have perished in their sins ever since the world began, that have wilfully rebelled against God, that have known the commandments of God, and would not keep them; these are they that have no part in the first resurrection.

What will be said of us, when this life is over? Will people thank God that we were his hands or will we cause others to stumble because of our example?

...Father, I have been taught what is right and what is wrong. I’ve felt thy peace as I chose your path. I’ve felt the anguish as I yielded to Satan’s temptations too. Please forgive my weakness and help me as I choose each moment to focus on your higher and holier path of joy and peace.

178

Mosiah 15:30 Break forth into joy, sing together, ye waste places of Jerusalem; for the Lord hath comforted his people,...

Sing for God. Lift up our voices in joyful sounds. It does not need to be perfectly in tune. Praise God for his goodness in your life!

...Father, I feel thy comfort when I see __, when I hear __, when I smell __, when I taste __, when I feel __. Thank You for your generosity to me, for I am but a weak, stubborn child who is trying to do good.

179

Mosiah 16:9 He is the light and the life of the world; yea, a light that is endless, that can never be darkened; yea, and also a life which is endless, that there can be no more death.

No matter how dark and gloomy my life feels, Jesus is the way to peace. No matter where or how I die, Jesus is the way to eternal life.

...Father, Jesus lights my path in life. Help me be a light to others who are having a dark moment, day, week, or longer. Help me to see the good in me and in others, for we are all beautifully and wonderfully made with the light of Christ in us all!

180

Mosiah 17:9 Now Abinadi said unto him: I say unto you, I will not recall the words which I have spoken unto you concerning this people, for they are true;

The truth will not change. God is an unchanging God. We can depend on him and believe his words!

...Father, thank you for being consistent and making the path home known to us. I know what you expect and I know that you are with each of us through every good and bad moment of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment