Monday, April 1, 2024

Book of Mormon Minute, Pages 131-140

  Howdy! I have chosen one verse or phrase from each page of the Book of Mormon to share with my family daily.  See the list here...

Page                       Reference                                               My Thoughts

131

Jacob 5:64-65 ...And if it be so that these last grafts shall grow, and bring forth the natural fruit, then shall ye prepare the way for them, that they may grow. And as they begin to grow ye shall clear away the branches which bring forth bitter fruit, according to the strength of the good and the size thereof; and ye shall not clear away the bad thereof all at once, lest the roots thereof should be too strong for the graft, and the graft thereof shall perish, and I lose the trees of my vineyard.

If we make a plan to change and our plan works, then we can continue to adjust our thoughts, actions and words and continue to succeed. We will be able to replace bad habits with good habits, but must do it little by little so we don’t become overwhelmed and quit. Prepare, make a plan, expect challenges, and keep trying.

...Father, I’d like to replace the habit of __ with the better habit of __. Please help me create a better way and come up with a plan for success.

132

Jacob 6:5 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I beseech of you in words of soberness that ye would repent, and come with full purpose of heart, and cleave unto God as he cleaveth unto you. And while his arm of mercy is extended towards you in the light of the day, harden not your hearts.

Cleave means to join. Jesus has joined with us so completely that he has scars in his hands, feet, and side. How can I join with God today? What am I willing to give up or refuse so that I can have Christ and Heavenly Father and The Holy Spirit as my constant companions?

...Father, Thanks for the opportunity to live in a way that I can commune (visit) with you each day! I want to join your efforts to bring joy and peace to this world.

133

Jacob 6:12 O be wise; what can I say more?

If we were to try to use our knowledge to the best of our ability in every moment of our day, we would have much more peace and prosperity.

...Father, forgive my foolishness and help me to be wise that I may be a better tool for thee. Thanks.

134

Jacob 7:5 And he had hope to shake me from the faith, notwithstanding the many revelations and the many things which I had seen concerning these things; for I truly had seen angels, and they had ministered unto me. And also, I had heard the voice of the Lord speaking unto me in very word, from time to time; wherefore, I could not be shaken.

Satan will never stop trying to help us fail. Jesus will never stop helping us succeed. What has happened in your past that will help you stay firm in your faith of Jesus Christ?

...Father, I remember feeling your peace and love when __. Each day I’ll strive to study your word and keep a record that can help me remember and be strong when I face struggles.

135

Jacob 7:23 And it came to pass that peace and the love of God was restored again among the people; and they searched the scriptures, and hearkened no more to the words of this wicked man.

Just as waves rise and fall, our sadness and struggles come and go. They are temporary. As we search the scriptures and follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit, we can have the peace of Christ all along the way.

...Father, please give me the wisdom to know the difference between truth and error, right and wrong that I may have your peace in my life.

136

Enos 1:8 And he (Jesus) said unto me (Enos): Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole.

Our faith can cause miracles in our lives. President Nelson said we should expect miracles. Our actions and words are proof of our level of faith, which is always growing or receding.

...Father, I believe that you are my Spirit Father, that Jesus is my older brother and He made it possible for me to succeed. I believe, therefore, I will choose to __, even though it may not be the popular thing to do.

137

Enos 1:12 And it came to pass that after I had prayed and labored with all diligence, the Lord said unto me: I will grant unto thee according to thy desires, because of thy faith.

Pray, then get to work, believing that God will guide our path to do much good!

...Father, today I’m going to work hard to be a blessing to myself and others around me! Thanks for helping me!

138

Enos 1:23 And there was nothing save it was exceeding harshnesspreaching and prophesying of wars, and contentions, and destructions, and continually reminding them of death, and the duration of eternity, and the judgments and the power of God, and all these things—stirring them up continually to keep them in the fear of the Lord. ...

Are we this stubborn? Why does it sometimes take such strictness to remind us to be and do good?

...Father, today I want to hear and heed the gentle promptings of The Spirit. I want to feel your peace in my life and share that with others. I don’t want contention, I want joy!

139

Jarom 1:4 And there are many among us who have many revelations, for they are not all stiffnecked. And as many as are not stiffnecked and have faith, have communion with the Holy Spirit, which maketh manifest unto the children of men, according to their faith.

Communing means communicating with. Look at yourself. Find the things that are keeping you from having more faith and from communing with the Holy Spirit…

...Father, thank you for the opportunity to develop more faith in thee, my Savior, and myself. Thanks for the guidance of The Spirit to help me.

140

Omni 1:2 ...But behold, I of myself am a wicked man, and I have not kept the statutes and the commandments of the Lord as I ought to have done.

Omni had been taught and he knew what was expected, yet he chose a different path. He had the integrity to admit that he’d not chosen the right.

...Father, I have been taught right from wrong and know what you expect of me. You are a just God and my reward will be determined by my own desires, thoughts, actions, and words. Today I want to do what is pleasing to thee. Thanks for that knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment