Saturday, May 11, 2024

Book of Mormon Minute, Pages 211-220

    Howdy! I have chosen one verse or phrase from each page of the Book of Mormon to share with my family daily.  See the list here...

Page                       Reference                                               My Thoughts

211

Alma 2:10 Now when Amlici was made king over them he commanded them that they should take up arms against their brethren; and this he did that he might subject them to him.

Don’t be like this. We should use our energy and talents to bless others and help us all come back to Christ. We are all loved by God.

...Father, I’m sorry for the times that I cause others to hurt. Please forgive me and help me as I try to be more kind, loving, and forgiving.

212

Alma 2:28 Nevertheless, the Nephites being strengthened by the hand of the Lord, having prayed mightily to him that he would deliver them out of the hands of their enemies, therefore the Lord did hear their cries, and did strengthen them, and the Lamanites and the Amlicites did fall before them.

They prayed mightily (powerfully, a lot) to the Lord and He heard them. Each time you pray, try to be intentional about your prayers. Is praying something to check off a to-do list, a memorized set of words, or a sincere conversation with your Father who created you and wants to visit with you?  Listen to the song, "A Child's Prayer"                 

...Heavenly Father, please guide me through the Holy Ghost to know how to pray and visit with thee.

213

Alma 2:30 And it came to pass that Alma, being a man of God, being exercised with much faith, cried, saying: O Lord, have mercy and spare my life, that I may be an instrument in thy hands to save and preserve this people.

Be God’s instrument. Alma was “exercised with much faith.” His faith took work, practice, dedication, and became stronger as he used his faith more.

...Father, I believe you are real, you created me, and you love me. You believe I am of great value, you want to help me come home, and you want me to continue to improve each day. Thank you for believing in me!

214

Alma 3:14 ...repent of their wickedness and turn to me that I may have mercy upon them.

God is a merciful God, yet he is also just. We have to desire to do God’s will and try. As soon as we turn back towards God, we’ve begun to repent (return to God).

...Father, I know I mess up many times each day. I’m trying to be good and do good. Please forgive my mistakes and guide me to know right and wrong that I may choose thy merciful, peaceful, joyful path.

215

Alma 3:26 ...they might reap their rewards according to their works, whether they were good or whether they were bad, to reap eternal happiness or eternal misery, according to the spirit which they listed to obey, whether it be a good spirit or a bad one.

Our choices will lead to our consequences… Will I choose to follow a good spirit and do good and receive eternal happiness. Or, will I choose to follow a bad spirit and do bad and receive eternal misery?

...Father, I understand that my choices and desires will determine my end result. I know this life is a hard test, yet, you’ve made a way for us to all receive eternal joy… please help strengthen me and help me remember times when I’ve chosen thy path and felt of thy love and peace. I want to stay on your path and follow good!

216

Alma 4:10-11 And thus ended the eighth year of the reign of the judges; and the wickedness of the church was a great stumbling-block to those who did not belong to the church; and thus the church began to fail in its progress. And it came to pass in the commencement of the ninth year, Alma saw the wickedness of the church, and he saw also that the example of the church began to lead those who were unbelievers on from one piece of iniquity to another, thus bringing on the destruction of the people.

Who are we causing to stumble? We need to reflect often on our choices and the example we are for others. Let us not be a reason someone chooses not to follow Christ.

...Father, please help me be a good example of a disciple of Christ today. I want to follow thee and my brother Jesus as I do good and choose good today.

217

Alma 4:19 And this he did that he himself might go forth among his people, or among the people of Nephi, that he might preach the word of God unto them, to stir them up in remembrance of their duty, and that he might pull down, by the word of God, all the pride and craftiness and all the contentions which were among his people, seeing no way that he might reclaim them save it were in bearing down in pure testimony against them.

In order to use God’s words, we have to read and learn them. The Holy Spirit can bring them to our mind and help us know what to say in different situations.

...Father, thank you for scriptures, both ancient and modern. Help me understand your words. Please help me to use your words as I strive for peace, both inside myself and with others.

218

Alma 5:13 And behold, he preached the word unto your fathers, and a mighty change was also wrought in their hearts, and they humbled themselves and put their trust in the true and living God. And behold, they were faithful until the end; therefore they were saved.

Gods words can change our hearts (what we want and focus on). We get to show God that we will choose to put what God wants before our own wants. We will be saved with God only if we stay faithful to the end of our lives.

...Father, Please change my heart so that I want your will more than my own. As I exercise my faith and try to do what I believe is right, help me feel thy peace. Thank you for a journal that I can review and learn and be strengthened by my past experiences.

219

Alma 5:19 I say unto you, can ye look up to God at that day with a pure heart and clean hands? I say unto you, can you look up, having the image of God engraven upon your countenances?

Throughout today, if you watched a video of your last thoughts, actions, and words, would they be something we’d expect from Christ? If not, do an experiment, apologize, ask for a do-over and try to fix any hurt you’ve caused and take a better path?

...Father, please forgive my last few minutes. I recognize that I was not acting as the Savior would. Please help me to fill my thoughts, acts, and words with charity. Thanks that I can try again.

220

Alma 5:36 For behold, the time is at hand that whosoever bringeth forth not good fruit, or whosoever doeth not the works of righteousness, the same have cause to wail and mourn.

What can I say that is good? What can I do that is better or best? If I got called home to God now, would I be sad or peaceful with the last day of my life?

...Father, thank you for teaching us the way to have peace in this life and in the life to come. I pray for your grace to help me today.


No comments:

Post a Comment