Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Book of Mormon Minute, Pages 231-240

    Howdy! I have chosen one verse or phrase from each page of the Book of Mormon to share with my family daily.  See the list here...

Page                       Reference                                               My Thoughts

231

Alma 9:26 And not many days hence the Son of God shall come in his glory; and his glory shall be the glory of the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace, equity, and truth, full of patience, mercy, and long-suffering, quick to hear the cries of his people and to answer their prayers.

Honor is a synonym of glory. Do we feel it our honor to be helpful, fair, honest, calm and hopeful, merciful, choosing to not be annoyed, recognizing others needs and not delaying help?

...Father, thank you for Jesus example of goodness and for showing us the traits we can attain. Please help me as I choose these higher and holier ways.

232

Alma 10:6 Nevertheless, I [Amulek] did harden my heart, for I was called many times and I would not hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know; therefore I went on rebelling against God, in the wickedness of my heart, even until the fourth day of this seventh month, which is in the tenth year of the reign of the judges.

What will it take for me to not harden my heart and choose to hear God? Will I choose to be a tool in God’s hands and quickly heed His call?

...Father, your path is the only path to peace and joy. I want to be someone you can trust to do what you need done the first time you ask. Please help me to do much good for thee.

233

Alma 10:23 But it is by the prayers of the righteous that ye are spared; now therefore, if ye will cast out the righteous from among you then will not the Lord stay his hand; but in his fierce anger he will come out against you; then ye shall be smitten by famine, and by pestilence, and by the sword; and the time is soon at hand except ye repent.

Prayers are very powerful. The faith filled prayers of righteous people bless our lives. How can we develop more faith as we visit with God?

...Father, I know you’re there, yet its sometimes awkward to close my eyes and talk with thee. I know the words to say, but sometimes using formal words makes it harder to feel connected to thee. Thanks for knowing my heart. I’ll keep trying to do as you’ve asked and get to know thee better.

234

Alma 10:25 But Amulek stretched forth his hand, and cried the mightier unto them, saying: O ye wicked and perverse generation, why hath Satan got such great hold upon your hearts? Why will ye yield yourselves unto him that he may have power over you, to blind your eyes, that ye will not understand the words which are spoken, according to their truth?

What am I doing that gives away my power to Satan? We have the ability to choose to use our body to do God’s will or to give into Satan’s ‘easier’ ways. 

...God. Please help open my eyes and understanding to thy ways and thy truths. I will take time to study, learn, and ponder thy ways. As I exercise my faith by doing what I’ve been taught, please help me see that I’m on your path.

235

Alma 11:22 …for I shall say nothing which is contrary to the Spirit of the Lord. ...

Wow… if ALL our words were in line with the Holy Spirit, we would all feel such peace and joy! We would cause less pain to others and have less regret.

...Father, please forgive my worldly speech. I see that I can choose to control my tongue with practice. Please help me choose the best small steps to holier speech.

236

Alma 11:43 The spirit and the body shall be reunited again in its perfect form; both limb and joint shall be restored to its proper frame, even as we now are at this time; and we shall be brought to stand before God, knowing even as we know now, and have a bright recollection of all our guilt.

If we are called home to stand before God today, we will have the same attitudes and desires that we have now. We will know all our right and wrong choices.

...Father, I thank thee for the gift of repentance. I ask for thy help to improve each day and for a desire to do thy will always. Thanks for thy constant support, encouragement, and belief in me.

237

Alma 11:44 Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but every thing shall be restored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Christ the Son, and God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, which is one Eternal God, to be judged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil.

Arraigned means being brought before the judge (God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost) because we are accused of doing wrong. We will remember all our wrongs and judge whether our works on earth were good or evil. Repentance is the way we erase the evil from our record.

...Father, I have done much evil while on earth. Thank you for the gift of repentance and for the opportunities each day that I’ve been given to repair the wrongs I’ve done, try to do better, and to learn and choose to do thy will. Please forgive me as I strive to do what you’ve taught me is good and right.

238

Alma 12:15 ...he [God] is just in all his works, and that he is merciful unto the children of men, and that he has all power to save every man that believeth on his name and bringeth forth fruit meet for repentance.

At our judgment day, Jesus is able to show us mercy and save us from eternal misery. We receive this mercy if we have faith in him and strive to repent. We do not need to be perfect, but have to sincerely try.

...Father, thanks for making a way to have mercy extended to me. May I show mercy to others and show thee daily that I’m striving to do thy will.

239

Alma 12:24 And we see that death comes upon mankind, yea, the death which has been spoken of by Amulek, which is the temporal death; nevertheless there was a space granted unto man in which he might repent; therefore this life became a probationary state; a time to prepare to meet God; a time to prepare for that endless state which has been spoken of by us, which is after the resurrection of the dead.

Probation means a time of testing and proving. Are we proving to God each day that we will do what he’s asked? When trials come, think, “Ok God, I know this is a test. I can pass this test with thy help.”

...Father, I’m going to face many tests today. Please help me to face each test, remembering that I can do hard things with thy help. Help me to think celestial and keep a positive attitude. Thanks for believing I can pass each test and for preparing a way for my success.

240

Alma 12:32-33 Therefore God gave unto them commandments, after having made known unto them the plan of redemption, that they should not do evil, the penalty thereof being a second death, which was an everlasting death as to things pertaining unto righteousness; for on such the plan of redemption could have no power, for the works of justice could not be destroyed, according to the supreme goodness of God. But God did call on men, in the name of his Son, (this being the plan of redemption which was laid) saying: If ye will repent, and harden not your hearts, then will I have mercy upon you, through mine Only Begotten Son;

Being separated from all righteousness for eternity because we chose evil would be eternal misery, never feeling happiness again. God’s plan of redemption is also called God’s plan of happiness and is simple. As we repent and show our desire and willingness to obey God’s commandments, we will receive mercy through our Savior Jesus Christ.

...Father, thank you for making a way for me to repent. May I show you daily my willingness to follow thy commands that I may receive mercy and enjoy happiness with thee for eternity. Thank you for Christ’s example of loving kindness and for his example of choosing thy will. He is an amazing brother.


No comments:

Post a Comment