Saturday, June 8, 2024

Book of Mormon Minute, Pages 251-260

    Howdy! I have chosen one verse or phrase from each page of the Book of Mormon to share with my family daily.  See the list here...

Page                       Reference                                               My Thoughts

251

Alma 17:11 And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth among the Lamanites, thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls.

God told them that they would have a difficult time which would allow them to show others how to be patient (calm and hopeful)! God would use them as his instruments to bless others eternally.

...Father, I’m sorry for my stubbornness. I want to do thy will and be thy dependable tool. Please bring to my mind this verse when I face difficult times.

252

Alma 17:31 And it came to pass that [Ammon] flattered them by his words, saying: My brethren, be of good cheer and let us go in search of the flocks, and we will gather them together and bring them back unto the place of water; and thus we will preserve the flocks unto the king and he will not slay us.

What kinds of cheer are there? Ammon said, “be of Good cheer.” Satan wants us to choose his deceptive worldly happiness, yet we can have eternal happiness from God.

...Father, help me to find “good” cheer and to have a more positive outlook on life because I am choosing to think celestial! Help me to see truth from error today.

253

Alma 17:35 Therefore they did not fear Ammon, for they supposed that one of their men could slay him according to their pleasure, for they knew not that the Lord had promised Mosiah that he would deliver his sons out of their hands; neither did they know anything concerning the Lord;

How can we help others to discover God’s goodness and love so they can have peace from knowing His plan like we do?

...Father, thank you for wonderful examples of faithful parents that blessed generations. Thanks for being a God of truth who cannot lie.

254

Alma 18:17 ...Behold, I am a man, and am thy servant; therefore, whatsoever thou desirest which is right, that will I do.

When others ask us to do something, we can remember this verse. Then we can choose to do what they ask… IF it is right in God’s eyes.

...Father, I pray for a desire to study thy words so they can guide me to know what is right in thy eyes.

255

Alma 18:32 And Ammon said: Yea, and [God] looketh down upon all the children of men; and he knows all the thoughts and intents of the heart; for by his hand were they all created from the beginning.

God created each of us. He knows each of us. He loves each of us. He wants what is best for each of us. He knows our thoughts and desires.

...Father, thank you for teaching me that you created me uniquely and I am special to you.

256

Alma 19:6 Now, this was what Ammon desired, for he knew that king Lamoni was under the power of God; he knew that the dark veil of unbelief was being cast away from his mind, and the light which did light up his mind, which was the light of the glory of God, which was a marvelous light of his goodness—yea, this light had infused such joy into his soul, the cloud of darkness having been dispelled, and that the light of everlasting life was lit up in his soul, yea, he knew that this had overcome his natural frame, and he was carried away in God

God's truths bring joy to our souls. Are we trading our time with temporary earthly happiness instead of choosing happiness that fills our whole soul? God’s goodness can conquer anything in this world.

...Father, Please bring thy truths to my mind and help me learn of thy goodness. I want to have joy that fills my whole soul, not just fake happiness. Please help me to bring eternal joy to others too.

257

Alma 19:9 And Ammon said unto her: Believest thou this? And she said unto him: I have had no witness save thy word, and the word of our servants; nevertheless I believe that it shall be according as thou hast said.

...nevertheless I believe. Are we willing to trust God based on the limited knowledge that we have? How can I show God that I believe his promises?

...Father, I’m going to try to do thy will today and be extra kind, calm, hopeful and helpful to myself and others today. Please fill me with thy love and thy spirit as I’m on thy path.

258

Alma 19:23 Now we see that Ammon could not be slain, for the Lord had said unto Mosiah, his father: I will spare him, and it shall be unto him according to thy faith—therefore, Mosiah trusted him unto the Lord.

Faith can create miracles. President Nelson said for us to expect miracles. Miracles come in many sizes!

...Father, please use me today to be a miracle maker. Help me to recognize the little miracles that you’ve placed in my path so I can thank you for them.

259

Alma 19:31-32 And [Lamoni], immediately, seeing the contention among his people, went forth and began to rebuke them, and to teach them the words which he had heard from the mouth of Ammon; and as many as heard his words believed, and were converted unto the Lord. But there were many among them who would not hear his words; therefore they went their way.

Our ears hear many sounds, yet sometimes we choose to not hear. We can learn to listen and then listen to learn. What do God and others want us to hear today?

...Father, there are many sounds in this world. Help me to focus on the sounds that are needful. Help me to hear and learn what you and others are trying to communicate to me. Please help me choose to share edifying and grateful sounds with others.

260

Alma 20:13 And now when Lamoni had rehearsed unto him all these things, behold, to his astonishment, his father was angry with him, and said: Lamoni, thou art going to deliver these Nephites, who are sons of a liar. Behold, he robbed our fathers; and now his children are also come amongst us that they may, by their cunning and their lyings, deceive us, that they again may rob us of our property.

Making assumptions is not good. Judging righteously is good. We can ask questions to learn more before making decisions. Remember that others have had different life experiences than us, we have limited knowledge, people are good, and God loves us all.

...Father, help me know your truth and to see people as you do. Please fill me with love for all, including myself. Thanks for loving me and all of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment