Sunday, June 9, 2024

Book of Mormon Minute, Pages 261-270

    Howdy! I have chosen one verse or phrase from each page of the Book of Mormon to share with my family daily.  See the list here...

Page                       Reference                                               My Thoughts

261

Alma 20:29 And when Ammon did meet them he was exceedingly sorrowful, for behold they were naked, and their skins were worn exceedingly because of being bound with strong cords. And they also had suffered hunger, thirst, and all kinds of afflictions; nevertheless they were patient in all their sufferings.

These men were patient in ALL their sufferings. My sufferings seem very small compared to theirs. How can I be more calm and  more hopeful in my struggles?

...Father, you give us struggles to help us learn and have experience. Please help me remember that these struggles are opportunities for me to be an example of patience. This struggle will end and there is hope in Christ.

262

Alma 21:16 And they went forth whithersoever they were led by the Spirit of the Lord, preaching the word of God in every synagogue of the Amalekites, or in every assembly of the Lamanites where they could be admitted.

If we let the spirit lead us, we will have more peace in our life and be a tool in God’s hands. We will still have trials but will maintain a more celestial outlook.

...Father, I pray for your help to recognize the guidance of the Spirit. Lead me to thy paths.

263

Alma 21:23 And Ammon did preach unto the people of king Lamoni; and it came to pass that he did teach them all things concerning things pertaining to righteousness. And he did exhort them daily, with all diligence; and they gave heed unto his word, and they were zealous for keeping the commandments of God.

Zealous means enthusiastic or determined. Our day would go differently if we saw the commandments of God as something we were enthusiastic and determined to do at all times.

...Father, help me to always remember Jesus. I pray for a desire to be more zealous in doing good and following thy commandments for you’ve told us that if we have no charity, we fail. We succeed when we're striving to do thy will.

264

Alma 22:15-16 And it came to pass that after Aaron had expounded these things unto him, the king said: What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day? Behold, said he, I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy. But Aaron said unto him: If thou desirest this thing, if thou wilt bow down before God, yea, if thou wilt repent of all thy sins, and will bow down before God, and call on his name in faith, believing that ye shall receive, then shalt thou receive the hope which thou desirest.

What are we willing to give up and sacrifice so we can have God’s great joy and be welcomed home to live with Him after this life? What do I need to repent of? How can I develop stronger faith?

...Father, guide us individually today to recognize things we need to give up, stop doing, or start doing so we can receive the joy given to the righteous. Please help us know how we should change to be firmly on thy path.

265

Alma 22:18 O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day. And now when the king had said these words, he was struck as if he were dead.

How can I better use my time today to come to know God better? What sins can I willingly give away to come closer to God?

...Father, I want to know you better. Help me walk thy path today and recognize how I can use my time more wisely to grow closer to you and keep The Spirit with me. Thank You for this opportunity.

266

Alma 22:34 Therefore the Lamanites could have no more possessions only in the land of Nephi, and the wilderness round about. Now this was wisdom in the Nephites—as the Lamanites were an enemy to them, they would not suffer their afflictions on every hand, and also that they might have a country whither they might flee, according to their desires.

Where do we flee to for peace when we’re facing challenges around us? How can we make sure we always have a safe place to go?

...Father, thank you for opportunities to pray to you anytime and anywhere. Thanks for scriptures and songs that can bring me back to your peace. Thank you for the opportunity to keep a celestial perspective amid my trials.

267

Alma 23:7 For they became a righteous people; they did lay down the weapons of their rebellion, that they did not fight against God any more, neither against any of their brethren.

What are our weapons of rebellion? How can we lay down our rebellious thoughts, words, actions, and desires so we’re working with God, not against him?

...Father, I want to be on your team, to be yoked with thee and receive thy strength to overcome this world.

268

Alma 24:6 Now there was not one soul among all the people who had been converted unto the Lord that would take up arms against their brethren; nay, they would not even make any preparations for war; yea, and also their king commanded them that they should not.

How can we make preparations for peace instead of contention? How can we become more converted to the Lord and desire only good for others?

...Father in Heaven, I pray for thy help today to create peace and not cause contention. Help me recognize my thoughts, tones, body language, and actions and then, bring them into alignment with thy will.

269

Alma 24:11 And now behold, my brethren, since it has been all that we could do (as we were the most lost of all mankind) to repent of all our sins and the many murders which we have committed, and to get God to take them away from our hearts, for it was all we could do to repent sufficiently before God that he would take away our stain

God changes hearts. If we sincerely ask for His help and try to do what we believe is right, He will help us to change so we continue to desire and do what is right.

...Father, I want to stay firmly on your path. Please help me desire and do thy will. Bring to my mind thoughts that will help me know what is right. When I struggle, help me remember others righteous examples of faith during their trials.

270

Alma 24:19 And thus we see that, when these Lamanites were brought to believe and to know the truth, they were firm, and would suffer even unto death rather than commit sin; and thus we see that they buried their weapons of peace, or they buried the weapons of war, for peace.

What do I sacrifice for peace? What am I willing to sacrifice for peace?

...Father, I know I lose your peace when I choose to __. Please help me find your better way when I’m frustrated, angry, tired, hungry and impatient.

No comments:

Post a Comment