Thursday, June 20, 2024

Book of Mormon Minute, Pages 271-280

    Howdy! I have chosen one verse or phrase from each page of the Book of Mormon to share with my family daily.  See the list here...

Page                       Reference                                               My Thoughts

271

Alma 24:30 And thus we can plainly discern, that after a people have been once enlightened by the Spirit of God, and have had great knowledge of things pertaining to righteousness, and then have fallen away into sin and transgression, they become more hardened, and thus their state becomes worse than though they had never known these things.

I do not want to fall away. We have to work each day and each hour to make sure we’re staying on God’s path and not being deceived by Satan’s tactics.

...Heavenly Father, please help us stay on your path and to recognize when we’re turning away. Help us quickly return and keep thy spirit with us always. Thanks.

272

Alma 26:3 ...And this is the blessing which hath been bestowed upon us, that we have been made instruments in the hands of God to bring about this great work.

A took allows the user to manipulate it and does not take control. Let God use us. He is the master creator, builder, designer, and he knows what is best.

...God, I believe that you know what is best for me and others. Please use me to help me and others improve, feel thy love, and do good. Help me to see thy good works all around me.

273

Alma26:6-7 Yea, they shall not be beaten down by the storm at the last day; yea, neither shall they be harrowed up by the whirlwinds; but when the storm cometh they shall be gathered together in their place, that the storm cannot penetrate to them; yea, neither shall they be driven with fierce winds whithersoever the enemy listeth to carry them. But behold, they are in the hands of the Lord of the harvest, and they are his; and he will raise them up at the last day.

When the storms of life come, where is the place that I gather into where the storm cannot enter? How do I put myself in God’s safe hands?

...Heavenly Father, I have felt thy love and peace when __. Please help me as I face challenges to return to thy truths and thy paths so I can be shielded from the storms by thee. Help me to keep my covenants to I can receive the blessings you’ve promised.

274

Alma 26:27 ...bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.

If we are calm and hopeful during our struggles on earth, God will help us succeed. When I begin to feel annoyed or angry or afraid, I will try to remember that God believes in me and has given me the strength I need to keep trying. I can find and practice new ways to remain calm and hopeful. I can only control myself.

...Heavenly Father. Thanks for reminding me that my test in this life isn’t to make someone do what I want 'em to, but to control my own desires, thoughts, words, and actions. Please help me develop the tools necessary to have success with Thee.

275

Alma 26:35-36 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name. Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a branch of the tree of Israel, and has been lost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land.

How do you praise (give thanks to) God! How would you describe God to someone? Listen again as I read how Ammon describes God to his friends. ... If we don’t know God like Alma does, we can begin today and come to know Him. As we learn of Jesus in the scriptures, including the conference talks, we can learn what our Heavenly Father is like and how we can become. We can talk with Him in prayer and let the Holy Spirit guide our words as we pray.

...Heavenly Father, I know that thou are good, kind, gentle, creative, joyful, hopeful, my spirit dad, fair, merciful, compassionate, and you desire the best for each of us. You created us with uniqueness so we can be a blessing to others and work together to return home. Thanks for loving and believing in me!

276

Alma 27:10 But the king said unto [Ammon]: Inquire of the Lord, and if he saith unto us go, we will go; otherwise we will perish in the land.

The king had amazing faith! He trusted this missionary and had such peace with his own conversion that he would die rather than break his oath that he’d made with God.

...Heavenly Father. I pray for your continued guidance as I continue to strengthen my testimony each day and become a tool in thy hands. May I ever desire and do thy will.

277

Alma 27:27 ...they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end.

How would you describe yourself? How would others describe you? May we strive to be described as the people of Ammon.

...Heavenly Father, you describe me as wonderfully made. I am your child and therefore capable of one day becoming as thou art. Please guide me and help me to be perfectly honest and upright in all things and may I be found firm in the faith of Christ every day of my earthly journey.

278

Alma 28:6 And now surely this was a sorrowful day; yea, a time of solemnity, and a time of much fasting and prayer.

Do we fast and pray enough? Take some time to think about why you pray and why you fast. Find other scriptures or read in the bible dictionary about fasting and prayer, then share with others what you’ve discovered.

...Heavenly Father, thanks for the peace I feel when I visit with you and when you guide me in your paths. May I strive to make my prayers and fasting a time of sincerity and joy.

279

Alma 29:8 ...the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.

How should we counsel each other? Are we counseling by sharing what we've learned, or criticizing which does not edify?

...Heavenly Father please help me be aware of my words and body language. Help me to lift others, not cut 'em down.

280

Alma 30:2-3 Now their dead were not numbered because of the greatness of their numbers; neither were the dead of the Nephites numbered—but it came to pass after they had buried their dead, and also after the days of fasting, and mourning, and prayer, (and it was in the sixteenth year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi) there began to be continual peace throughout all the land. Yea, and the people did observe to keep the commandments of the Lord; and they were strict in observing the ordinances of God, according to the law of Moses; for they were taught to keep the law of Moses until it should be fulfilled.

There began to be peace because the people chose to keep the Lord’s commandments.…

If we want peace, we need to do what God’s asked us to do. We’ve been taught what is expected. If you’ve forgotten, go study and learn it again.

...Heavenly Father, I want to feel Thy peace. Please help me remember what thou wouldst have me do. Help me develop a routine that keeps me focused on my Savior, thy love and thy plan. Help me to “Think Celestial!”


No comments:

Post a Comment