Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Book of Mormon Minute, Pages 281-290

    Howdy! I have chosen one verse or phrase from each page of the Book of Mormon to share with my family daily.  See the list here...

Page                       Reference                                               My Thoughts

281

Alma 30:9 Now if a man desired to serve God, it was his privilege; or rather, if he believed in God it was his privilege to serve him; but if he did not believe in him there was no law to punish him.

Do we see it as a privilege that we “get to” serve God or is it a punishment and we “have to” obey Him?

...Father, I am so grateful for my knowledge of thee. Thank you for the opportunity to serve thee and become someone you can depend on to do good in this world. I pray forgiveness for my negative attitude and pray for thy strength to move forward with positivity and with an eternal perspective.

282

Alma 30:24 Ye say that this people is a free people. Behold, I say they are in bondage. Ye say that those ancient prophecies are true. Behold, I say that ye do not know that they are true.

How can we know truth for our own self? If you haven’t taken the time to ask God and learn for yourself if God is really your heavenly father, if The Bible and Book of Mormon and God’s words for us, and if His prophets are guiding his church today, take some time this week and visit with God. Study his scriptures, keep a journal of when you feel peaceful, and ask God when you are alone and are not rushed. He will answer your prayers.

...Father, others tell me that you are my spirit father and that your son Jesus paid the price for my sins so I can repent and come home to you. Is that true?  Are the Bible and Book of Mormon really your words? Is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints your church? Is your church led by prophets who will help us stay on your path? Do you really know and love me with all my mistakes and flaws?

283

Alma 30:44 But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.

All things denote there is a God! What have you encountered during your life that helps you remember that there is a God and know that He is real?

...Father some things that help me know you are real, all-powerful and all-knowing God are __.

284

Alma 30:53 But behold, the devil hath deceived me; for he appeared unto me in the form of an angel, and said unto me: Go and reclaim this people, for they have all gone astray after an unknown God. And he said unto me: There is no God; yea, and he taught me that which I should say. And I have taught his words; and I taught them because they were pleasing unto the carnal mind; and I taught them, even until I had much success, insomuch that I verily believed that they were true; and for this cause I withstood the truth, even until I have brought this great curse upon me.

We must always be watchful so we’re not deceived. We can gauge every decision based on the truths God’s given us. If our decision would take us away from the Spirit, it’s wrong. If it brings us closer to the spirit, it’s good and all good comes from God!

...Father, please help me remember the two great commandments. Love God and Love all others as ourselves. Help me to lift others closer to thee today.

285

Alma 31:5 And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God.

The word of God is powerful! When you don’t know what to say, use God’s words. Study them daily so you’ll have them in your mind for The Spirit to bring to your remembrance.

...Father, I thank thee for giving us the scriptures and for the gift of the Spirit to guide and help us come back home. Please guide my words today.

286

Alma 31:23 Now, after the people had all offered up thanks after this manner, they returned to their homes, never speaking of their God again until they had assembled themselves together again to the holy stand, to offer up thanks after their manner.

How blessed we are to know that we can and should visit with God daily in any and all places we’re in. How can we keep our focus on God today?

...Father, I thank thee for teaching me that I should stay focused on thee and thy eternal plan while on this earth journey. Please teach me to pray in a manner pleasing to thee. Help me learn to listen to thee also.

287

Alma 31:31 O Lord, my heart is exceedingly sorrowful; wilt thou comfort my soul in Christ. O Lord, wilt thou grant unto me that I may have strength, that I may suffer with patience these afflictions which shall come upon me, because of the iniquity of this people.

We do not control others choices and words. When we’re overwhelmed, we can ask God for help to calmly and hopefully stay on His path while we remember the Savior. I know that when we’re on God’s path, all is well with us.

...Father, grant me strength today to stay firmly on thy path. To be able to listen to others and understand their opinions, yet choose my own path which is thy path, a path of kindness, love, obedience, and joy!

288

Alma 32:12 I say unto you, it is well that ye are cast out of your synagogues, that ye may be humble, and that ye may learn wisdom; for it is necessary that ye should learn wisdom; for it is because that ye are cast out, that ye are despised of your brethren because of your exceeding poverty, that ye are brought to a lowliness of heart; for ye are necessarily brought to be humble.

What are our trials preparing us for? Try to find God’s hand in all things. Look for the good. See where our character is not in alignment with what Jesus has taught us and then pray for the wisdom and strength to change to become more Christlike.

...Father, help me learn the lessons from this test that helps me come closer to Thee. Thanks for believing in me and for the ability I have to conquer this struggle and thrive.

289

Alma 32:16 Therefore, blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble; or rather, in other words, blessed is he that believeth in the word of God, and is baptized without stubbornness of heart, yea, without being brought to know the word, or even compelled to know, before they will believe.

Am I willing to change if I’m off God’s path? Am I willing to recognize that my choices are not helpful?  Can I see where I’m doing good and thank God for His help in improving?

...Father, I want to do thy will. I want to be kind and helpful. I want to learn and do much good. Please send other earthly angels to help me when I’m weak.

290

Alma 32:27 But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.

If you do not yet believe God’s words or do not want to change, you can pray for a desire to believe and change. Then when you wanna change, ask God for guidance and the strength to change.

...Father, this earth journey is filled with distractions and confusion. Thanks for thy peace that comes when we’re on thy path. Please give me a desire to do thy will. Help me as I exercise my faith and try to do what you’ve asked me to do. Especially help me when I don’t wanna.


No comments:

Post a Comment