Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Book of Mormon Minute, Pages 371-380

  Howdy! I have chosen one verse or phrase from each page of the Book of Mormon to share with my family daily.  See the list here...

Page                       Reference                                               My Thoughts

371

Helaman 1:33 And it came to pass that Moronihah took possession of the city of Zarahemla again, and caused that the Lamanites who had been taken prisoners should depart out of the land in peace.

They were quick to forgive and return to peace. How can we quickly forgive and get back to peace as soon as possible? Why do we sometimes not wanna forgive?

...Father, maybe I’m not quick to forgive because I think my way (revenge, my pride, wanting justice, or teaching a lesson) is better than quickly forgiving. We all make mistakes and need forgiveness. Please help us to quickly forgive and return to peace so we can have thy spirit with us.

372

Helaman 3:7 And there being but a little timber upon the face of the land, nevertheless the people who went forth became exceedingly expert in the working of cement; therefore they did build houses of cement, in the which they did dwell.

There is usually more than one way to do something. Be creative this next week and try some new things. Take a chance and see what happens.

...Father, thanks for variety, creativity, and opportunities to explore and learn. Please guide me in paths that help me become like thee.

373

Helaman 3:20 Nevertheless Helaman did fill the judgment-seat with justice and equity; yea he did observe to keep the statutes, and the judgments, and the commandments of God; and he did do that which was right in the sight of God continually; and he did walk after the ways of his father, insomuch that he did prosper in the land.

Do right anyways. Grama says, “Be good and have fun. If you can’t do both, be good.” There’s lots of opinions in the world, yet God’s is the one we need to be focusing on.

...Father, help me to hear thy voice among the chaos of our world. Help me to be obedient to thee and do right in thy sight, for that’s most important.

374

Helaman 3:35 Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God.

Amid affliction, I can choose to fast, pray, study God’s word, visit the temple often, help others, read my journal, and find ways to keep close to The Spirit. Then I’ll have joy in Christ… The answer is always Jesus!

...Father, Thanks for teaching us where to focus, or more specifically on whom to focus, so we can have your joy and your peace even amid afflictions that will give us experience.

375

Helaman 4:3-4 And it came to pass that they did endeavor to stir up the Lamanites to war against the Nephites; but behold, the Lamanites were exceedingly afraid, insomuch that they would not hearken to the worlds of those dissenters. But it came to pass in the fifty and sixth year of the reign of the judges, there were dissenters who went up from the Nephites unto the Lamanites; and they succeeded with those others in stirring them up to anger against the Nephites; and they were all that year preparing for war.

Satan wants us to have contention. Will we allow ourselves to be sucked into angry situations and become angry or will we choose to stay calm and positive?

...Father, thanks for the reminder that because of Jesus, it’s ALL going to be ok. I can’t explain how, but I believe that if I stay focused on Thee, and keep doing my best, the little stuff will take care of itself. The scriptures teach us that a soft answer turns away anger. Please help me to give soft answers!

376

Helaman 4:21 Yea, they began to remember the prophesies of Alma, and also the words of Mosiah; and they saw that they had been a stiffnecked people, and that they had set at naught the commandments of God;

Every day and every week we need to remember and see God’s path so we can stay on it.

...Father, this world is full of plenty of things to distract, confuse, and pull us away from thee. Please help me to remember thee every moment so I can do what is right in thy sight.

377

Helaman 5:6-7 ...it is said, and also written, that they were good.

Do good and angels will speak good of you. People may not, but what people think of us is not as important as what God thinks of us. He knows us, loves us, and is always cheering for us and willing to help!

...Father, thanks for loving me even with all my mistakes, failures, and outright stubbornness. I pray for thy strength to do and BE good.

378

Helaman 5:12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

If all our thoughts, words and actions are coming from a belief and hope in Christ, the temptations of Satan cannot gain any power over us. Try today to base all of your choices on Jesus!

...Father, thanks for a brother who loves us enough and believed in us enough to atone so we can repent and come back home. Please help me to make my choices today with a celestial view. Thanks

379

Helaman 5:30 And it came to pass when they heard this voice, and beheld that it was not a voice of thunder, neither was it a voice of a great tumultuous noise, but behold, it was a still voice of perfect mildness, as if it had been a whisper, and it did pierce even to the very soul-

What does your voice usually sound like? Try to make your voice mild (gentle, peaceful, not easily angered).

...Father, I pray for your help to be more aware of my voice. Help me to make it mild so I and others can enjoy the peace of thy spirit.

380

Helaman 5:47 Peace, peace be unto you, because of your faith in my Well Beloved, who was from the foundation of the world.

Peace comes to us because of our hope and faith in Christ, not because of our current situation.

...Father, thanks for helping me know where to find peace and how to keep my peace. The answer is always Jesus! Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment