Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Book of Mormon Minute, Pages 431-440

   Howdy! I have chosen one verse or phrase from each page of the Book of Mormon to share with my family daily.  See the list here...

Page                       Reference                                               My Thoughts

431

3 Nephi 12:13-16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the salt of the earth; but if the salt shall lose its savor wherewith shall the earth be salted? The salt shall be thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out and to be trodden under foot of men. Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel (basket)? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house; Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

God wants you to stand out and be you. Let people see the light of Christ that is in you so they can be drawn to Christ. If you’re hiding His light, try to figure out why.. is it worth the trade? Sacrifice only works if you are willing to offer up something of real value to you. If what you are offering has no value, then it is not a sacrifice

...Father, thanks for people who have the courage to be themselves, to stand out and be special, yet kind and encouraging at the same time. Thanks for a Savior who showed us how to be amazing and to sacrifice our wants for a better cause.

432

3 Nephi 12:29 And behold, I have given you the law and the commandments of my Father, that ye shall believe in me, and that ye shall repent of your sins, and come unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit. Behold, ye have the commandments before you, and the law is fulfilled.

God has given us commandments so we know what he expects. When we have a contrite (repentant) spirit, we show God we are trying to change and stay on His path. When our hearts are broken, we are completely open to the Spirit of God and recognize our dependence on Him for all that we have and all that we are. We sacrifice pride in all its forms. Like malleable clay in the hands of a skilled potter, the brokenhearted can be molded and shaped in the hands of the Master.

...God, I want to allow you to shape me into what you know I can become. Help me recognize when I’m being stubborn so I can give myself to thee.

433

3 Nephi 12:37 But let your communication be Yea, yea; Nay, nay; for whatsoever cometh of more than these is evil.

Let’s try to keep our words simple. Let them bring God glory and help us and others along this journey.

...Father, thanks for simplicity. In our busy world, I’m grateful to take small moments to recenter my thoughts on what truly matters and then think and speak Celestially!

434

3 Nephi 13:20-21 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.


What are we focusing our energy on? That will show us what we treasure. May we do a daily review and strive to use our energies for Celestial things!

...Father, thanks for the opportunities to gain knowledge and build relationships. Those are what last…. not the ‘things’ of this world.

435

3 Nephi 14:12 Therefore, all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them, for this is the law and the prophets.

If before we spoke or acted, we paused to make sure we want someone to say or do that to us, we’d speak and act differently and be more joyous!

...Father, thanks for the challenge and opportunity to make sure our words and actions were in line with what we desire. Thanks for your peace!

436

3 Nephi 14:20,24-25 Wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them. ….Therefore, whoso heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, who built his house upon a rock—And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not, for it was founded upon a rock.

What do we base our decisions and actions on? Are they focused on Christ and gospel principles? If so, we will conquer Satan and all his temptations. If not, we can change and try to align our will with God’s.

...Father, help me remember to base my actions and words on the Savior’s teachings, which are your teachings! Thanks for his amazing example for us.

437

3 Nephi 15:9-10 Behold, I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life. Behold, I have given unto you the commandments; therefore keep my commandments. And this is the law and the prophets, for they truly testified of me.

Jesus is the law, the light that shows us the way home. He has given us commandments and expects us to obey so he can give us eternal life. Jesus gave us the rules so we know how to succeed and can have joy forever with God and his eternal family!

...Father, thanks for showing us exactly what is needed to receive eternal life. I wanna be happy forever with y’all and my family and be able to continue to learn!

438

3 Nephi 16:4 ...the remnant of their seed, who shall be scattered forth upon the face of the earth because of their unbelief, may be brought in, or may be brought to a knowledge of me, their Redeemer.

All people on earth are gathered together by learning of Christ and becoming His followers. We separate ourselves from Him as doubt. Let us keep learning of Him and stay strong.

...Father. Thanks for my testimony of Jesus and his role as my Savior and Redeemer. There’s so much I don’t understand, yet I know when I follow Jesus, I feel peace!

439

3 Nephi 16:15 But if they will not turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, I will suffer them, yea, I will suffer my people, O house of Israel, that they shall go through among them, and shall tread them down, and they shall be as salt that hath lost its savor, which is thenceforth good for nothing but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of my people, O house of Israel.

?What are we good for? Can God use us as tools in His hands to do His work of bringing joy, hope, and help to others? We need to continue turning towards Christ and hearken (listen AND obey) the Holy Spirit’s promptings.

...Father, please help me become a trustworthy tool in thy hands to do much good!

440

3 Nephi 17:3 Therefore, go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again.

God knows some things can only be understood with The Holy Spirit’s help. Experiment... make the time to be quiet and think about His words. Then pray for understanding in Jesus name. As you continue to ponder throughout the day and journal, you’ll discover God’s truths in ways you can understand.

...Father, thanks for the blessing and opportunity to understand your words. Please help me to recognize the promptings of the Holy Spirit as He brings me understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment